Saturday 17 November 2018

Four Hour Film Challenge - New Wave


For my new wave video, I was heavily influenced by themes like identity and conformation which are commonly seen in Czech New Wave. I represented this through my style of editing, in which i layered portrait film on top of landscape film; however I tried my best to line up the shots so that it looked like the same area (even though they were filmed in separate locations). I was inspired to do this technique from a particular clip from 'Daisies' when the two Maries chase each other and the screen looks as though parts were cut up and layered on each other. In the film's representation, it shows the chaotic nature of the girls and even the dissociation they have from society; and the rules they have to follow. This dissociation is what i intended to show in my film. By physically removing the subject from the location, i've removed them from the society surrounding them.

I also added some coloured filters to snippets of the background layer. This was mainly again to represent czech new wave and the coloured filters seen in 'Daisies' which was used to show the more obscure behaviour rather than exclusivity. I mainly used it however to again add a layer or form of expulsion from society; it can even be symbolic of how the subject could feel like a glitch.

No comments:

Post a Comment