Thursday 24 January 2019

Theoretical Perspectives: Video Script Evaluation

Evaluation: Based off script


I think my video is a perfect balance of humour and fact based opinions. I spilt this video much like my contextual one, more so because I find it easier to work that way; it also allows me to focus on one section at a time when rendering and fixing script errors. I chose to focus my work around Disney and Disney owned properties (Marvel & Star Wars) mainly because personally I wanted to see how heavily biased their films are, and more so because as much as people discuss feminism in related to Disney I don't think we actually take a close look and argue about how it is or isn't.

I think my best arguments fall into my Marvel section. This could be because I enjoy the marvel franchise most out of the ones I talked about, but again I think it is also because they try to represent strong independent women but keep holding them back or making their weakness a man. This is what I found most puzzling, and the hardest to talk about. As mentioned in the video, Disney own Marvel but (besides one relationship) didn't originate any of the source material so it's hard to pin point what is their fault and what is not. Still I think I balanced the argument soundly and has multiple pieces of evidence to further back it up.

My weakest argument has to be with the princesses. I think it is easy to say their looks are influenced from real life, but I think it can be argued that character's features are stressed in order to look cartoony which is Disney's preferred animation style. I think it was also a bit fo a stretch to compare Jasmine to a sexual object, because she does fight and confront people in the film to an extent. Her clothing was also inspired by the eastern culture, so it could be to say that her clothing is culturally appropriate and not sexual. Personally, I'm not offended by it but I could understand why someone would be.

There were some points I wish I had included, like how it's not clear whether or not the male superhero's figures were shot from the male gaze or the female one. I think this would have been good to argue about, and in fact i did prepare something. But it didn't fit the pace or overall theme of the video so i scrapped it. Looking back I think it would have gave me more opportunity to talk about the female gaze, so this is something I am disappointed in.

No comments:

Post a Comment