Sunday 23 September 2018

Four Hour Film Challenge - Birmingham


For this assignment, I chose the theme of 'unusual perspectives', but I also included 'citylife' to add some almost understanding/background to my protagonist; whilst my video doesn't have a narrative per say, I think there is some defining characteristics presented.
I wanted the main idea from this to be the feeling of curiosity or even challenging the human 'agenda', so my protagonist goes to numerous locations (as shown with her walking and looking around) but only finds satisfaction in animals. This is the main reason why the only shot of her smiling is at the aquarium, and more so that the shots at the aquarium are much slower than those of the ones outdoors/places with heavy artistic influence. Even the contrast in colours with the strong blue against the reds and greys on the buildings I think are even more intriguing.
My main issues when filming were the inability to use a tripod and the weather. Locations like the sea life centre or museums do not permit the use of tripods for safety reasons, so I found it difficult to shoot steady shots which increased the amount of time I spent in Birmingham shooting; this creates another series of problems as the natural lighting becomes slightly darker due to the day passing. The stabilization issue also had more effect when adding a warp stabilizer to my clips which (as seen) makes the shots very 'choppy', even when I altered the amount and type of stabilization.
However, besides that I did not have any issues when it came to editing. I increased and decreased the speed on some clips to represent the world passing the subject by in shots like the shark (0:51) becoming slightly slower to show how infatuated she is, but not so much that it becomes unnatural to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment