Monday 17 September 2018

Media Basics: ISO

"ISO is simply a camera setting that will brighten or darken a photo" (Photography Life, 2018); Basically the level of sensitivity of your camera to available light. The higher the ISO, the more sensitive to light. So in theory, at night you would use a higher ISO than daytime; however, the main visual fault from using a high ISO at night is the inclusion of grain.


In this video I tried to exemplify this with correctly exposing my images with using an ISO of 100 - 200. I think to be able to get coloured details like the trees or brick it is important to be correctly exposed, or the colours won't be as prominent; similarly im glad I kept my white balance on auto because the green could have looked almost abnormal had I tampered with it.
In the last couple of clips I purposefully over and under exposed; in moderation, this technique can manipulate natural light without physically tampering the environment. I wanted a more heavenly appearance so i made the light around my subject over exposed by setting my ISO to slightly higher than the shot previously. I also focused my camera on the surrounding behind her to make sure it was that area that would be over exposed.




During my filming, probably due to other factors (like my Aperture), my ISO wasn't that varied. A minimal difference is noticeable with the amount of grain and even the mild 'hum lines' that can be seen on a larger screen. You can also see less colour in/on the subject's hair or the brick wall besides them because it is so dark with a lower ISO.
Having less light coming in when filming can also relate problems in correlation to focus because as suggested it's harder to see; it also removes detail from surrounding areas as seen with the brick wall because of the mass amount of grain. A standard way to fix this would be using external light, but alternatively I could have also perhaps used a wider Aperture.

Reference list:
Photography Life (2018) [online] Available from: https://photographylife.com (Accessed 17/09/2018)

No comments:

Post a Comment