Wednesday 8 May 2019

Promotional Video: Filming Process

Day 1: Unit Filming

Starting at 2PM, I arrived at the unit which was still being cleaned. I took this time to run through the client my exact intentions for that day and what I planned to film, to which we discussed how plausible it was to do it. Unfortunately, he was having issues with his 3D printer which he expressed desire using in the video; he did say he would send me his own footage of the printer later like he did with two other machines. This is good for him because it showcases more of his content, however it would provide issues for me in terms of different quality to my DSLR and filming ratio. Alas, the client as a priority insisted he wanted to include it.

Shots Taken

My filming took longer than anticipated, but as an overall I achieved and filmed what I set out to. I also was able to film additional shots not in my original plan (head sketching) which I think is beneficial. As previously mentioned too, I live close to the unit and fortunately am related to the head of the business so if I decide I need more shots I can go back soon. The only things I didn't get to shoot were the 3d Printer and laser cutters, but as said this was covered by the client (sent footage).

I also today managed to get my screen recording footage from my client with some additional screenshots of his work. This still falls under poor time management as I did ask for this footage a week or so ago. Nevertheless, he provided me with different angles, speeds and final stylises of his designs.

Screen-Shots & Recordings

Day 2: Off-Site Installation


Before arriving at the site, I actually decided to film some time lapses of travelling to the location on my phone; I chose to shoot on my phone because it has a built in stabiliser and time lapse feature, whereas setting up my camera would have proved more difficult in such a small, shaky space.

Clips from phone

As planned I carried out a quick 'Health & Safety Scope' which took less time than I expected because of the precautions done by the health & safety team at the convention hall; this was helpful because it meant I could set my time lapse on the laptop quicker and in general plan my day out better. This also meant at the end of the day I had more shots to work with.

Day 1 shooting off-site (highlighted)

One thing I underestimated was how quickly the day would go by; meaning I was unable to film much without shots becoming repetitive because the actual building side was a very slow process. Its always said to film more than less which I agree with, but I didn't want to fill my camera with the same few shots. This meant the majority of my day was sat waiting to film something new or the workers doing different set up tasks, I took this time in between to review and retake shots however which benefited the storage on my camera massively. It also meant I would be bale to get "the best shot possible" when filming.

Day 3: Off-Site Installation

Day 2 of shooting off-site was pretty much the same process as Day 1 in terms of logistics and time. This day as a general was shorter so again I took the time to set up as quickly as possible; the only problem with the day was that I was unable to film a time lapse due to the power source for the laptop being covered by the finished details on the stand. This of course was not my plan, so I instead decided to turn my notion of "not filming the same shots" on its head and film shots with little time gaps in between to show the overall building process.

Day 2 shooting off-site (highlighted)

As a general I think filming went pretty well, and I gathered a variety of shots which can be manipulated to appear as numerous clips; I filmed few long short clips rather than lots of short ones. Now reflecting it probably wasn't the best decision but it was the only choice I really had because of everyone trying to finish quickly, which I think would have been more noticeable in lots of quick clips.

No comments:

Post a Comment